- A neutral home for your project increases the willingness of developers from other companies and independent developers to collaborate, contribute, and become committers.
- Endorsement by leading mainframe architects of the Open Mainframe Project’s Technical Advisory Council is an independent signal of the quality of your project.
- Ability to leverage Open Mainframe Project mainframe infrastructure for your CI/CD needs.
- You will have access to funds for further investing in your project.
- Partner academic institutions and next-gen students will have visibility into your project, resulting in new committers and class projects to help strengthen your project.
- Your existing committers still control your project, and we just ask that you document a neutral governance process ( and if you don’t have one, we have one that’s a good starting point )
Services for Projects
Open Mainframe Project provides a unique set of services for the mainframe community that goes beyond the simple mailing list, code repository, and website. You should host your project at Open Mainframe Project because:
- You can work with our full-time press relations and analyst relations teams to increase awareness of and excitement about your project.
- Receive regular reports on press mentions and comparisons to similar projects.
- Open Mainframe Project is able to leverage the expertise of its parent organization, The Linux Foundation, which hosts other successful projects including the Linux kernel, Let’s Encrypt, and Node.js. For example, Open Mainframe Project has worked on cross project collaboration between Kubernetes, HyperLedger, and Cloud Foundry for improving mainframe support of those technologies.
- You will have access to full-time Open Mainframe Project staff who are eager to assist your project in myriad ways and help make it successful.
- Your project will have unique opportunities to participate in our annual Open Mainframe Summit.
- Our world-class events team work with you to showcase your project at our leading open source events worldwide.
- We also work to ensure your project is represented at key mainframe events and meetups worldwide, such as SHARE, VM Workshop, and GSE.
- We have travel funding available for your non-corporate-backed developers and to increase attendance of women and other underrepresented minorities.
- We will work with your community to offer a customized “event in a box”, so that your team can easily participate in events worldwide with little overhead.
- We host virtual events, scaling from webinars to multi-day events
- And for all events, we can promote on social and our blog of the participation, as well as track community metrics to for your community to better understand the impact of participation on your community.